Monday, February 10, 2014

Noises Where We Live

I lay (layed? laid?) down to take a nap today while the kids were sleeping.  I rested for sure.  Slept... far from it.  I have no idea how Tobias and Doriana sleep through all the noises; I guess they're still babies :)  I think people sometimes have the mistaken idea that we live in the mud hut in the middle of nowhere.  (That's where our youth come from.)  In fact, we are in the middle of it all.

Though far from being a modern city, even with all the construction going on, Cusco is a busy place.  Our house is in a quieter neighborhood, meaning not as many people pass by our front door.  Despite this 'quiet'; sometimes I feel like people and dogs are trampling through our house.  Our house is made of adobe and concrete block--no insulation. We hear planes going overhead nearly every hour; the valley is long and narrow, and the flight path is right over most of the city (no escaping it).  I can hear our neighbors' conversations and children playing outside in the alley; though I feel like they are in our sunroom.  Car alarms sound regularly; one in particular is very sensitive and frequently goes off due to thunder or a heavy truck rumbling by.  Some neighbor has recently purchased an electric saw.  I can hear neighbor's doors close throughout the day; in the middle of the night I hear people on the stairs.  One house away is the Mormon temple's basketball and volleyball court; at night youth can be heard cheering. The strange part of all these sounds is that I can't see any of them.  We are completely enclosed by a wall with no outside view.  I can't see the sources of the noises; but I feel like they are in our playroom, in our kitchen, or upstairs in the bedrooms.

A heavy rain and hail sounded on our glass and tile roof this afternoon to provide us a white noise and send kids and dogs running for cover.  Finally complete silence this afternoon. I almost drifted off to sleep until yet another chorus of dogs interrupted.  That's why I have time to write this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment