Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Worldview and Beliefs

Albino gave a presentation on worldview to some youth and church leaders shortly after Christmas.  Then he gave a similar presentation to thirty plus pastors in ATEK (a great way to make personal contact with our youths' pastors). He now has the presentation in English, Spanish, and Quechua.  I haven't seen the presentation since we taught a Sunday School class at First Church of Holland.  We have talked a bit about the subject.  But to be honest, our conversastions tend to focus more on laundry, food, nursing schedules, diaper changes, and 'just getting through the day' plans.  Not a lot of dreaming on my part.  That's not to say that my mind hasn't been on worldview;  just in a different way.  I'm taking in the effects, the actions, the beliefs and values that come from the worldview.  Having a baby in another country, amongst people of another culture tends to bring out the opportunities for that.  I'm not ready to share an evaluation or even think that I understand the root of what I observe and experience.  But, I thought that you might enjoy hearing some of the advice and comments that have been shared with me.
-chicken soup is good for producing milk supply in nursing mothers
-the mother must breastfeed the baby. any crying from the baby means she must stop and feed him. (A living statue even broke character to tell me to feed the baby. One stranger even personally checked to make sure I was nursing correctly and moved my shirt; from her perspective my shirt was covering the baby's nose; it all happened very fast, before I could react.)
-if you want a talkative child the mother must eat grapes during pregnancy (I must have eaten plenty because Doriana talks non-stop.)
-after giving birth the mother must rest as much as possible.  some say even up to a month in bed.
-do not hold cold drinks.  it can cause joint pain.
-a woman should wash herself, especially the hands and head, in rosemary water, particularly after giving birth.
-after giving birth do not sit upright for long because the stomach will not go back to normal
-do not hold a sleeping baby upright against the chest becuse the cheeks will become warm and sag in the future.
-a baby should wear a black rimmed hat so it doesn't go cross eyed.
-the baby's eye may fall out if the child is carried in the crook of the arm, looking outwards.
-urine has palliative qualities and can be given to a baby for colic and other stomach upsets.
-if you kiss the baby's hand, he will misbehave as a child and will not respect his elders.
-make sure the baby is well bundled up and does not get cold.  about four layers, including a sweater, is appropriate.  (I hear this one all the time.)
-tape a coin on the belly button to make sure that it is not an "outie".

1 comment:

  1. Some colleagues in Nepal just had a baby and wrote a similar post on cultural expectations for new moms. I thought you'd be interested in reading: http://tripstakepeople.org/2014/02/10/the-way-nepali-mommas-do-it/ It seems pretty similar to Peruvian culture.

    ReplyDelete